What will my insurance cover?

City Farmers Petplan Insurance provides cover for the treatment costs of unexpected accidents, injuries and illnesses* which may happen to your pets after we have accepted your application.  *Cover for injury cover commences immediately once your application is accepted (providing the accident did not occur prior to cover being taken out) and Illness cover starts after the 21 day waiting period.


If I take out City Farmers Petplan Insurance, when does my cover begin?

On all City Farmers Petplan policies, cover for injury begins as soon as you complete the online policy application process, or if applying over the phone as soon as we give you a Cover Note Number. If you post your application, cover for accident commences when we receive and date stamp your application in the mail. Illness cover commences after the 21 day waiting period. Any illnesses which are diagnosed within this period will be classed as a pre-existing condition.


Will my City Farmers Petplan Insurance cover my pet for any injuries or illnesses that it had before I applied for the insurance?

At City Farmers Petplan, we like to be as clear as possible, therefore any exclusion from cover placed on your policy will be clearly stated on your Certificate of Insurance. Before taking out your dog or cat insurance, you must tell us about your pet's conditions and any prior illnesses or injuries they've had. Like all other pet insurance companies, illnesses and injuries experienced before you start your pet's insurance will unfortunately not be covered. Your pet's previous medical history will not affect your premium, and while we will not cover any pre-existing conditions, we will cover anything else your pet might suffer, after cover has been accepted.  

When you take out a policy, you should always check your terms and conditions in conjunction with your Certificate of Insurance to see what is and what is not covered.


How old does my pet need to be to get City Farmers Petplan Insurance?

We accept applications for first time cover for your dog or cat from 8 weeks of age and up to their 8th birthday – and up to their 5th birthday for select breeds of dogs *. Once your pet is insured with City Farmers Petplan Insurance we will continue to provide cover as long as you renew your policy with us each year without a gap in cover. 

*The full list of select breeds can be found in our Product Disclosure Statement or click here to view them online.


Will the costs of my pet's vaccinations or desexing be covered?

No, our plans do not cover the costs of any routine, preventative or elective care of your pet. This includes but is not limited to vaccinations, desexing, worm and flea treatments.  


What is the Pet%Share plan?

If you choose the Pet%Share plan option, we will provide you with a 25% discount of the price of your selected plan, but in the event of a claim we would only reimburse 75% of the treatment costs less your excess.


Can I continue to use my existing veterinarian?

Yes, you can use any licensed veterinarian in Australia providing they are willing to complete City Farmers Petplan Claim Forms.


Are hereditary and congenital defects covered?

Yes, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy, and only for treatment related to a hereditary or congenital condition, symptoms or clinical signs of the hereditary and congenital defects that first arise after you have taken out the policy, and after the waiting period.


If my pet develops an ongoing condition, will it be covered?

Yes, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy and provided the condition was not pre-existing or occurred within the first 21 days of cover.  


Do City Farmers Petplan pay for prescription pet food?

We will only cover for prescription pet food used to dissolve bladder stones and crystals.


Can City Farmers Petplan pay my vet fees direct?

We can arrange to pay most veterinary surgeons directly in the case of a vet fees claim. You must ask your vet if they are happy to do this, then your vet must complete the Pay Vet section on the claim form and we will take care of the rest. 


Do you cover homeopathic treatments?

City Farmers Petplan cover for acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathy and behaviour modification, providing it is treatment your vet has recommended.


What payment options are available?

You can pay for your premiums either annually by cheque or monthly by Direct Debit from a bank account or credit card.


How can I pay for my policy?

For a simple and stress-free option, you can pay your premium monthly or annually by secure Direct Debit or Credit Card. If you wish to pay by any other means please call us on 1300 131 512 and we'll be happy to explain some alternative payment options. 


Will you continue to renew my pet's insurance when he/she becomes old?    

Yes, for our Covered for Life+ pet insurance products, you must start the insurance before your pets 8th birthday, and if your dog is a select breed the insurance must begin before their 5th birthday, and we will cover them for the rest of their life, providing the policy is renewed each year, without any gap in cover. 


How do I get reimbursed for my vet bills?

Should you need to visit the vet, you pay the full amount of the vet bill then submit a claim form together with your itemised invoices to us at this address:

City Farmers Petplan
1-3 Smolic Court
Victoria, Australia

If your vet has agreed to have us pay your claim direct to them, we will pay the amount less the fixed excess you have chosen and any non-claimable items (i.e. food, merchandise, vaccinations, desexing etc.). You are responsible for paying your vet the gap. 

City Farmers Petplan reimburses you your vet fees, minus your fixed excess and any non-claimable items. If you have selected the Pet%Share option, we will pay 75% of the vet fees, less the fixed excess and non-claimable items.


How do I make a claim?

Download both the Claim Form and our Guide to Completing a Claim Form. Complete the Claim Form ensuring all sections are completed by both you and your vet and send this to us with your itemised invoices.

City Farmers Petplan
1-3 Smolic Court
Victoria, Australia


What is the excess on your plans?

We offer three levels of fixed excesses on our plans starting from $110 for cats and $125 for dogs, to $250 or $500. If you make a claim you will be required to pay the excess you have selected. City Farmers Petplan reimburses you your vet fees, minus your fixed excess and any non-claimable items. If you have selected the Pet%Share option, we will pay 75% of the vet fees, less the fixed excess and non-claimable items.


What does a claim excess mean?

The excess is the amount you pay towards the cost of treating each unrelated illness or injury during the period of cover (i.e. the policy year).  This means treatment which is not related to any other illness or injury treated during the same period of cover. 

Each time you need to make a new claim in your policy year, you will be required to pay an excess first. You will be informed of this exact amount when you take out a policy. If you have a policy with us already, your excess amount can be found on your Certificate of Insurance. If you need help completing your Claim Form, please refer to our Guide to Completing a Claim Form or call us on 1300 131 512. 


Will my premiums go up?

The main reason why premiums have to increase from time to time is due to advances in a range of diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures, which means that veterinary fees will inevitably rise. These improvements will go a long way to making sure your cat or dog remains healthy for longer. Vet Fee inflation, due to the advances in veterinary care, is running at five times the national inflation average.  


How long will it take for my claim to be paid?

We aim to process your claim as quickly as possible. We will do our best to have your cheque in the mail within five business days of receiving your claim; however, first time claims may take a little longer than the five days, as we will need to obtain information from your vet to process the claim. After that, all claims are processed within the normal range.


How much will I get back when I make a claim?

City Farmers Petplan reimburse you 100% for the treatment of an injury or illness minus your selected excess (75% if you have selected the Pet%Share option), and any non-claimable items. 


How do I renew my City Farmers Petplan Insurance policy?

If you pay your premium by direct debit instalments we will renew it for you automatically when your policy is due for renewal. We will write to you before the policy expires with full details of your next year’s policy conditions and premium.

If you do not want to renew this policy, all you need to do is call us on 1300 131 512 to let us know.


Can I cancel my policy?

You can cancel your policy at any time by writing to us. Providing you have not made any claims on your policy, you will be entitled to a refund of the money you have paid for the period of insurance after the cancellation date. In the event that you cancel the policy for whatever reason after having made a claim, no premium refunds are payable and the remaining premium for that period of insurance must be paid.

*Terms and conditions apply.+City Farmers Covered for Life Policy covers vet fees for re-occuring or chronic conditions for life. We will continue to provide cover for any illnesses - including ailments like arthritis, epilepsy, diabetes or eczema that would require regular vet treatments over a long period of time, often for life - as long as you renew your Covered for Life Policy each year without a break. Cover is subject to acceptance criteria, policy limits, and exclusions and excesses may apply. We do not provide advice on this insurance based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before making a decision about this insurance please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for full details. This is available on our website at cityfarmers.com.au/petplan or call 1300 131 512. City Farmers Services Ltd, ABN 16 133 225 386, AR No: 407168, arranges this Insurance as an agent for the Product Administrator Petplan Australasia Pty Ltd (ABN 64 069 468 542, AFSL No: 245663), and underwritten by Allianz Insurance Limited (ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL No: 234708).